Bessfest - Taste of Trinidad and Tobago




On Saturday 8th July scores of people flocked to the Queen's Park Savannah to partake in the first ever Bessfest. A display of foods and snacks local to Trinidad and Tobago as well as many honorable international mentions.

As a foodie, this was definitely an event I didn't want to miss. Admission was free and there were so many stalls to choose from I had to strategize a game plan. I definitely wanted to get to the places I've never tried before and if there was room in my belly, some old favourites.


First off, Hashi Ramen. Apparently this ramen place was creating a lot of buzz with Naruto fans as its a pun on a character called Hashirama. (I don't know if he was a fan of ramen or not but there seemed to be a lot of excited patrons)

The line was pretty long, they made everything as customers ordered but the wait was definitely worth it. Delicious and filling with fresh ingredients and seasonings. I can't wait til they open an outlet as they presently only do catering.

Next up was the Chownation stall. I was intrigued by their wine chow and had to try it. A mixed fruit chow soaked in seasonings and mango wine made for a delicious treat.



There was a huge line at Poutinois, a Canadian owned poutine restaurant. Luckily I had tried their food before and was able to avoid the lines.

The event seemed to be a hit, and whilst I didn't get to take a lot of photos (because I was busy stuffing my face) the ambience was chill and inviting. There were a lot of local food on sale as well that included doubles, aloo pies, saheena, saltfish, oildown you name it.

All in all the event was well executed, featured many local and internationally focused foods. I hope they have another event soon!

Did you attend this event? Let me know in the comments!

Comments

  1. Absolutely gutted I missed this, I was in Trinidad for two weeks and wanted to get some of the local food rather than what the hotels recommended. I've had enough pasta and grilled chicken to last me the year. Will look out for this again for my trip in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no Mark! I'll definitely be returning if they have another one. Keep an eye out, this one was quite a success.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback: Trini Snacks

Trini slang - A basic guide before you visit

Food Festivals - Hyatt Waterfront Restaurant - Mexican Night